Thursday, July 16, 2015

Two Hoots & A Holler: Class Library and Word Wall

Hoot #1
Hey it's Jamie here! Brad and I decided to take a week for ourselves before the children came back from Arizona! Knowing that I was going on this trip, I spent everyday last week trying to get as much as I could done.  I finally was able to finish my library!

Here it is! I purchased boards and cinder blocks from Lowe's. The boards are to the length of my reading loft, which is about 6 feet. I decided to expose the holes in the blocks.  I plan to use the holes in the blocks to hold resources that the students may need such as pencils, post-it notes and bookmarks. I was able to get the buckets at Dollar Tree.  I was so afraid that I would not buy enough that I bought out two stores in our area.  Needless to say, I purchased about 12 too many!! If you don't know already, Dollar Tree does not allow you to return items. I then printed labels for each bucket.  I also numbered each bucket so that the students could look inside the book and match the number that is written inside the book to the number on the bucket.
 I have a book return bucket that I keep right outside of my library.  All books go to the "Book Return" bucket when students are finished with them. At the end of the day, the helpers get to place the books back in their appropriate bucket.

Hoot #2
I also was able to finish my word wall.  I decided change it a little by creating the word rings instead of listing them down the wall.  The words are based from the first 100 Fry words that we expose our students to throughout the year.
Here is what it looks like from a distance.  Excuse the mess but as teachers, we all know that it is going to get a whole lot messier before it gets cleaner!!

Here is a close up.  In my class, we are the Jitterbugs.  So, of course, the room is decorated in bugs.  For my word wall, I use ladybugs for the consonants and butterflies for the vowels.  For the rings, I used shower rings. You can usually find these at Fred's, or Dollar Tree.  They are much cheaper than the binder rings. These usually come in packs of 12.  This year, I purchased these from Fred's.  A set (12) cost $3.00. I purchased jumbo tacks at Office Depot.  The rings hang on the tacks.  As students need them for spelling or word games, all they have to do is slip the ring off the tack to take with them!

This Week's Holler...
This week's holler goes out to our great friend Annie Wilson at Ride Away with Mrs. Ridgway. This girl is a hoot! We have gotten to spend time with her during two blogger meet ups! We love the fact that she is a looping teacher. We have looped before and thought that it was one of the best educational experiences ever.  Annie has so much energy that you just want to join in with her.  She is our official photo bomber! Ha! She has so many wonderful things on her blog! You should check her out! We love her latest post as she linked up with other teachers for Shark Week! You probably will not see a blog post from Annie this weekend because.......................
SHE IS GETTING MARRIED!!!
Congrats Annie from Kinder Glitter Girls! May your years be filled with joy and happiness. 
http://rideawaywithmrsridgway.blogspot.com/

No comments: