Thursday, February 9, 2017

Two Hoots and A Holler

Hoot #1

I love to see little minds at work. 
These students love to create and dominate!
One of my favorite things to do as a teacher is to just observe. I love watching my students have conversations with each other. I love how they work together to solve problems. I love just having material laying around and allowing them to be creative without any barriers. Last Friday was one of those days. It was almost magical as I listened to the "hum" of my busy classroom. There was no yelling or fighting. There was no crying or whining. I literally watched my little community of Jitterbugs express their imagination, share ideas with others, take turns, reason, problem solve, LOVE, and LAUGH. As they did all of this, I sat back and smiled. I had created an environment where EVERY student felt safe to be who they are. They were demonstrating every social skills that makes a teacher proud. This, my friends, is what this world needs more of...
Love, Kindness, Respect, Forgiveness, Caring and Sharing

May we all always be humble enough to learn from our students.






Hoot #2

To celebrate the month of February we are learning about Valentine's Day and Black History Month.  Check out the pictures of our crafts we have done over the past week!

Our focus in reading has been on nonfiction texts.  In order to honor black history month and our reading focus, we read the book Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. by Creative Teaching Press.  After discussing the significance of Dr. King and the importance of equality, the students created a dove (cut out of a paper plate), and wrote how they can help change the world to make it a better place.


And my absolute favorite one that is just so simple and truthful...
We made a "Tear Art Heart". The students filled their heart with torn paper, then they wrote things they love on small pieces of paper.  The pieces with the words on it represented pieces of their heart.  They then completed a writing activity to go along with it called "Things I Love to Pieces".  Of course I took pictures of when they first began, but didn't get a picture of the finished project!  Sorry guys!  I will take a picture and add it later.  

 CHECK BACK IN A FEW DAYS TO SEE FINISHED PROJECT!

UPDATE!!  HERE IS A PICTURE OF FINISHED VALENTINE'S DAY ACTIVITY....
 

This Week's Holler...

Our shout out this week goes to Fran Kramer at Kindergarten Crayons. We have been working on addition and subtraction in the classroom. We just loved her mini addition center using carrots and eggs! Jamie already has the carrots and the eggs! Looks like we will be setting a new center up soon! Thank you, Fran, for sharing! 
Go check her out!
 
Kindergarten Crayons

No comments: